Rainbow sent me just such a device as part of the SDK.
Its a 6 foot USB extender cable.
Brad

At 11:20 AM 11/17/99 -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

>Steve points out that USB is not meant for repeated connect-disconnect
>cycles to the extent needed for "smart keys" and such, and that many
>machines have inconveniently placed USB ports.
>
>However, it would be reasonable to build a small extension
>cable+alternative connector that *was* able to handle repeated
>cycles. Such a thing would have negligible cost in bulk, unlike smart
>card readers.
>
>This would probably be a significant boon. Smart card readers are
>expensive, and smart cards are way too stupid. This, however, might
>actually provide a reasonably easy way to make the underlying idea fly.
>
>--
>Perry Metzger          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>--
>"Ask not what your country can force other people to do for you..."

--- -- --
Brad Kemp
Indus River Networks, Inc.                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
31 Nagog Park                                            978-266-8122
Acton, MA 01720                              fax 978-266-8111