In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "P
.J. Ponder" writes:

> Maybe I'm missing something here, but don't representatives of almost all
> countries shop regularly in New York, Miami, L.A., etc., where they have
> missions and embassies and that sort of thing?  Does anyone suppose the
> clerks in retail stores are even going to know about, let alone help
> enforce, export rules on commercial software products?   This seems pretty
> stupid, or naive, at least.  Maybe the stuff won't be shipped directly
> there, but what's the point if you can buy it over the counter and then
> send it yourself?

fair number of years ago, I was in D.C. and wanted to buy some topographic maps.
The US Geological Survey had a sales office there at the time, in (as I recall)
the Dept. of Commerce building.  There was a posted sign requesting foreign
citizens to identify themselves before purchasing any maps.  I have no idea
how they enforced it...

As for your main point, that the crypto restrictions far antedate Freeh --
yes, that's true, but it's arguably beside the point; in recent years, the
push for retaining and even strengthening the restrictions has come from the
FBI, not the NSA and certainly not the CIA.

                --Steve Bellovin