Radia Perlman - Boston Center for Networking wrote:

> So since Thawte is advertising this, there must be a new version of
> IE and Netscape that recognize Thawte as an issuer of step-up certs.
> Which must mean that the US govt has approved Thawte (so that they
> allow export of browsers that recognize it), which must mean that
> Thawte has promised to only issue step-up certs to institutions
> that the US govt would approve getting such certs.
>
> Radia
I'd totally forgotten about SGC (Server Gated Crypto), which is why the
Thawte
  stuff kind of surprised me.  I guess I'd simply erected some kind of
  mental block about SGC or something...

At their web site, they do talk about more recent versions of browsers
  supporting this concept.

So: two questions (with a possible answer of "use the source, luke"):

  o  What bits are set in a "super cert" to indicate that it's a SGC
     or step-up cert?  Or is it simply that certs issued by a super-cert
     authority (as marked in the browser CA cert database) are always
     "step up" certs?

  o  I'm thinking that there's a bit in the CA cert database that
Netscape and
     IE maintain that says "OK to issue SGC certs".  Anyone know where
the bit
     is?

I don't remember seeing anything like this in the PKIX or TLS specs, so
I'm
  thinking that this "step up"/SGC notion is implemented out-of-band.