The US can have a patent, and indeed there is a special statute that
allows them to take your patent if the product has a national security
dimention.

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, P.J. Ponder wrote:

> I looked in the US Constitution and didn't find a restriction there, but I
> have a vague recollection that US government agencies are not eligible for
> this sort of protection.  The argument being that the taxpayers paid for
> it, and the results of the work should be free for all to use.

You may be mistaking patent for copyright.  As a matter of policy (not
constitutional requirement) the US does not copyright works written by
federal employees, but rather releases them to the public domain.

--

A. Michael Froomkin   |    Professor of Law    |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                        -->It's warm here.<--

  • NSA patent P.J. Ponder
    • Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law