> Does that double the number of systems? Surely all the adversary has to
> do is substitute his own s/w for the thing that receives the passphrase
> and reboot A, not requiring a crack of B at all.

That's why I said S/Key.  Rebooting A would get the two out of sync
and while the adversary might get the key the server wouldn't start
and you'd be aware of key theft.

Note that my suggestion was to solve Jeffrey's original issue --
keeping the passphrase off the server, to protect from adversarial
read (but not write) access.  It is NOT a solution to my concerns
(protecting against both read and write).
        /r$