Vin McLellan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>         I suspect that RSA did send out more than a few nastygrams to OEMs
> or other mass marketeers about "illicit use" of RC4, but -- at least in
> recent years -- its complaints probably went to commercial enterprises which
> both (a) sought to resell  the algorithm in the US, and (b) blatently used
> the RC4 label in a way that is likely to confuse many people as to the
> source of the RC4 implementation code.

Not so.  I know of a firm that paid hundreds of thousands of dollars
to RSADSI in order to use their own entirely original implementation
of RC4, under direct threat of a bogus copyright lawsuit.  They knew,
I think, that if RSADSI sued they'd lose, but they didn't fancy being
dragged into court.

This wasn't a crypto product, just an implementation of a standard
whose encryption option mandated RC4.  I doubt any mention of RC4
would have been made in either the advertising or the documentation.
--
  __
\/ o\ [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Got a Linux strategy? \ /