http://www.heise.de/tp/deutsch/special/ech/6662/1.html

------------------------------ CUT -----------------------------

Former CIA Director Says US Economic Spying Targets "European
Bribery"

Duncan Campbell   12.03.2000

"We have spied on that in the past. I hope ... that the United States
government continues to spy on bribery."

Former United States Central Intelligence Agency director James
Woolsey confirmed in Washington this week that the US steals economic
secrets "with espionage, with communications [intelligence], with
reconnaissance satellites", and that there was now "some increased
emphasis" on economic intelligence.

He claimed that economic spying was justified because European
companies had a "national culture" of bribery and were the "principle
offenders from the point of view of paying bribes in major
international contracts in the world".

[...]