Arnold G. Reinhold writes:

 > destruction. (After all, a suitable amount of thermite will do a fine
 > job on an ordinary hard disk drive.  Pretty to watch too.)

Interesting. I thought I was the only one who considered this as the
only proper disposal mechanism of magnetic storage media in
high-security environment.

Speaking of which, I wonder whether hard drive manufacturers offer a
hidden mode for reading raw magnetization data from hard drives. It
would make erased data retrieval much easier, though admittedly not as
thorough as magnetic force microscopy scan of the magnetic surface.