Thanks to Eugene and Ian... but... I'm afraid Dorothy's note is just a
brief discussion of the potential applications of SmartLocator.
SmartLocator is/was a product/prototype of International Series Research
Inc., around 1996; I haven't found any more info about it (further to
Denning's note) and suspect it doesn't exist anymore. In any case, based on
what I've read in Denning's article, I think SmartLocator does not claim to
secure GPS integrity. SmartLocator claims to provide a `location signature`
using GPS, that is, a way to prove that the sender of a message has a GPS
receiver in a particular position in space and time. Actually, this could
indeed be quite useful, if this works, so one wonders how it worked and why
one (me) never heard of it so far. Maybe someone on the list knows better?
Or maybe we should look for a patent. Frankly: my expectations are low, I
will be surprised if this was really done securely.

Best Regards,
Amir Herzberg

IBM Research Lab in Haifa (Tel Aviv Office)
http://www.hrl.il.ibm.com

Eugene Leitl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 05/09/2000 12:10:27 AM

Please respond to Eugene Leitl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>