For more info on "Cyberlocator" (not SmartLocator), try:

http://www.cyberlocator.com/technical.html

Cyberlocator, a corporation, has two US patents on the use of GPS for
location-based authentication. One patent (US 5,757,916) describes the use
of satellites in location-based authentication and the other (US 4,797,677)
covers their "unique processing" of GPS signals.

4,797,677:
http://164.195.100.11/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&;
u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1='4797677'.WKU.&OS=PN/4797677&RS=PN/4
797677

5,757,916;
http://164.195.100.11/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&;
u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1='5,757,916'.WKU.&OS=PN/5,757,916&RS=
PN/5,757,916

        Suerte,
                _Vin

Amir Herzberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

>SmartLocator is/was a product/prototype of International Series Research
>Inc., around 1996; I haven't found any more info about it (further to
>Denning's note) and suspect it doesn't exist anymore. In any case, based on
>what I've read in Denning's article, I think SmartLocator does not claim to
>secure GPS integrity. SmartLocator claims to provide a `location signature`
>using GPS, that is, a way to prove that the sender of a message has a GPS
>receiver in a particular position in space and time. Actually, this could
>indeed be quite useful, if this works, so one wonders how it worked and why
>one (me) never heard of it so far. Maybe someone on the list knows better?
>Or maybe we should look for a patent. Frankly: my expectations are low, I
>will be surprised if this was really done securely.

>Best Regards,
>Amir Herzberg

>IBM Research Lab in Haifa (Tel Aviv Office)
>http://www.hrl.il.ibm.com

Eugene Leitl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 05/09/2000 12:10:27 AM

Please respond to Eugene Leitl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>