About NT CryptGenRandom ...

I once noticed a curious thing that made me question it's robustness.

The generated numbers on NT were always the same for the same registry
settings of RandSeed.  This implied that all other seed material was static
on that system.  In normal cases, RandSeed changes in each run, but
it left me something to think about.  This feature was not evident in a 9X version.

For that project I decided to trust the NT PRNG hash engine, but for good luck,
I sprinkled some extra seed material of my own into randseed.

-- David

At 07:41 PM 6/13/00 -0400, Sanket Naik wrote:
>> > Subject: Re: Entropy-gathering gizmos for NT?
>
>does anyone know the source of entropy that for the "internal seed" (as the Windows
>documentation
>for CyrptGenRandom describes it)?
>And how good the entropy is?

David P. Jablon