At 5:42 AM -0700 7/1/2000, Dennis Glatting wrote:
>Did anyone talk to the IRS? If I do not get a hard copy receipt, how
>do I prove purchase in case of audit? Moreover, if the transaction is
>electronic and the vendor's system crashed and the vendor lost his
>data, which I am confident he is not liable for, or the vendor goes
>out of business and the data vanishes into the ether, how do I prove
>purchase? Is the best I can hope for a belly laugh from an IRS agent
>as he slams the prison door behind me?

Nothing new here. I often buy stuff on line and only get e-mail
receipts. My credit card statements are a backup, I suppose. If
anything the new law will strengthen our case with the IRS.

I am more concerned about all the press coverage that suggests this
law is about cryptographic signatures, retinal scans and the like,
when its really about  clicking "I Accept" buttons.

Q.v. http://cryptome.org/esigs-suck.htm

Arnold Reinhold