About "Rishad", someone privately wrote:

> ... naming an algorithm designed by three jewish guys after
> an arabic word doesn't actually seem right to me...

Ha!  I thought about that ... for a minute or so.  But great
ideas like RSA must rise above irrelevant cultural boundaries.

But now that you mention it ... "algebra" itself is arabic.
Why not acknowledge the deep historic roots of this art, along with
these new practicioners, in the same breath.

There is a fitting irony here, too.  After all, this whole renaming party
is an effort to wrest control of the name of a thing away from the original
authors and their business affiliates.  This *is* a cultural change.
The whole free vs. patented crypto debate seems to be one of
the great religous wars in high tech today.

Rishad.  Jihad.  It kind of fits.

Of course, I say all this tongue-in-cheek, as one who refuses
to fight consistently on either side of this polarized debate.
I just don't get too hung up on these problems.

-- David

>At 02:27 PM 7/27/00 -0400, I wrote:
>>How about RISHAD?
>>
>>It's pronounceable, captures all three inventors in the same order
>>and equal proportions, and is already a name, with relevant connotations.
>>
>>The similar "Rashad" is listed as meaning "integrity of conduct", which seems
>>particularly appropriate. <http://islam.org/Culture/Names/default.htm>
>>There is also "Rashid", "Rightly guided, Having the true Faith",
>>which neatly captures the history of zealous marketing behind this
>>method.  Perhaps other's know of the origins of the "Rishad" or other
>>forms, which for all I know could have completely different meanings.

>>At 07:05 AM 7/27/00 -0700, Rodney Thayer wrote:
>>>What shall we call
>>>that-public-key-algorithm-that-will-not-be-patent-protected in late
>>>September? ...

David P. Jablon
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.IntegritySciences.com