I beg to differ.  The fastest way to get people to upgrade is if the
new version works with the old version.  There are still many pgp2.x
users who don't upgrade because they then lose the ability to
communicate with other 2.x users.

If PGP Inc had done the right thing and made pgp5.x backwards
compatible with 2.x, everyone would be using 5.x by now.

Your proposal just perpetuates the problem.

The GNU ethic about not using IDEA, is counterproductive; that just
means more poeple use IDEA, because they can't upgrade because it
won't work if they do.

Adam