Russell Nelson wrote:

> Ian Brown writes:
>  > ... subscribers to agree not to use the service as a means to create a VPN.
>
> Could someone describe to me (in my ignorance) the problem this rule
> is intended to solve?

Loss of revenue from leased lines. BT did a number of interesting things
during their ADSL trial to prevent the same problem, culminating with
configuring the routers to block incoming connects (so you can't run
servers on ADSL). One thing they overlooked was that the routers are in
the customers' premises, leading to widepsread router hacking. This led
to a rather amusing email reminding triallists that hacking their router
was in breach of the T&Cs!

They also reduced the bandwidth available considerably once they
realised that, strangely, people hadn't subscribed to ADSL to watch
postage-stamp-sized versions of crap movies served directly on the ADSL
backbone, and really just wanted faster Internet access (I used to love
the survey calls I got during the trial - BT: "So, sir, which movies
have you watched from our multimedia server?" ... me: "What multimedia
server?", and so on).

Cheers,

Ben.

--