On Fri, 1 Sep 2000 15:06:52 +0300 [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> Ed says,
>
> > The solution is to use a multifold of links, arranged in time and space
> > such that rather than making the impossible assumption that "no part
> > will fail at any time," we can design a system where up to M parts can
> > fail at any time provided that not all M parts fail at the same time --
> > where M can be the entire number of parts.
>
> This sounds like `proactive security`, as defined in several cryptographic
> works. You may want to check it out at http://www.hrl.il.ibm.com/proactive

Actually, this sounds more like applying fault tolerance (e.g. byzantine
agreement) techniques to increase security and dependability of your system.
Also related are secret sharing techniques and methods to securely compute a
function on a partially trusted distributed system.

Jaap-Henk

--
Jaap-Henk Hoepman             | Come sail your ships around me
Dept. of Computer Science     | And burn these bridges down