Perry: Right. My article will be going up on wired.com shortly, if it
hasn't already. Meanwhile, here's an excerpt below.

Also see a press release from the winner, who was notified in advance:
http://www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/cosic/press/pr_aes_english.html

So were other firms and analysts, who had statements at the event for
reporters to peruse.

-Declan

Excerpt:

"We chose this system because of its low memory, its easy access to
parallelism, its fast key setup, and easy implementation," said NIST
Director Ray Kammer.

Kammer said a panel of NIST cryptographers decided on one cipher
instead of multiple standards because of concerns about
interoperability.

He said there were no patent or licensing issues for programmers to
worry about with this cipher or any of the other finalists.

"If Moore's law continues and quantum computing doesn't manifest
itself, then I think this system will have a good 30 year run," Kammer
said.