NIST is running a Modes of Operation workshop on Friday 20th.  See
http://csrc.nist.gov/encryption/aes/modes/

It seems likely that NIST will demand the same licensing conditions
from anyone proposing a mode of operation for standardisation that
they did for the AES cipher itself.  Does anyone know for sure?  I ask
because one of the papers listed for discussion at the modes of
operation workshop is a very cute technique for doing authentication
at little extra cost over encryption, but it's patented by IBM, so
it'd be good to see the world get a royalty-free license for this one.
--
  __
\/ o\ Employ me! Cryptology, security, Perl, Linux, TCP/IP, and smarts.