Bill Sommerfeld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > Eh?  You should *never* need to encrypt information before shoving
> > it in the pool.  If you've got a secret you could use for such
> > encryption, shove it in the pool and then forget about it - it will do
> > precisely as much good.
>
> I'm inclined to agree with Don here, from principles of conservative
> cryptographic engineering.  By using a keyed one-way function before
> adding data to the pool, you add an additional layer of defense
> against an attacker guessing the pool contents.

If you want to design a new kind of pool based on encrypting the
incoming data, that could be an effective way to do it, but it will be
part of the pool.  If you start doing that sort of thing outside the
pool, you're just building a bigger pool around the pool you've
already got.  If the pool is Yarrow, then you will be very hard
pressed to build a better pool than the Yarrow designers, by this
strategy or any other.

Conservative cryptographic engineering says complexity is the enemy of
security.  Once you've chosen your components, trust them to do the
job they're designed for - don't pre-encrypt your encrypted data, and
don't build a randomness pool around your randomness pool.
--
  __
\/ o\ [EMAIL PROTECTED]