William Allen Simpson  wrote:
>As far as I can tell, the only unique element is the mod 2^128 - 159
>function.  We just need to use another function.
>
>My own favorite (in CBCS) has been rotation by the population count  [...]

The uniquely valuable aspect of Jutla's scheme (and other related
schemes, e.g. Gligor's or Rogaway's schemes) is that it comes with
a proof of security.

History shows that it is extremely easy to propose schemes for
encryption-with-integrity that are plausible-looking yet nonetheless
entirely broken.  At this point, I don't think I would trust very much
a proposal without a proof.

And I think it would be fair to say that CBCS falls into the camp of
plausible but unproven proposals.  (Correct me if I'm wrong!)