--- begin forwarded text

Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 22:42:35 -0800
From: Somebody
To: "R. A. Hettinga" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM&Intel push copy protection into ordinary disk drives

> --- begin forwarded text
> >Subject: Re: IBM&Intel push copy protection into ordinary disk drives
> >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >> This hard drive thing sounds a lot more like 4C than TCPA though.
> >
> >The hard drive thing is apparently 4C, but seems like it'd fit in "nicely"
> >(for someone's definition of nicely) with a TCPA-based system.

Don't forget Intel and IBM are charter members of both these scuzzy
outfits.  And somebody please tell me what good an encrypted hard
drive is gonna be when the key material has to pass through an untrusted
PC running a see-through OS such as Windows?  If one is actually
trying to save the data _from_ the PC operator not _for_ him/her, one
needs a TCPA-like hardening.  At least Intel and IBM must realize this.

--- end forwarded text

--
R. A. Hettinga <mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>