Lenny Foner wrote:

> But the world is -different- now.
>
> The DMCA exists, and its anticircumvention language will be used as
> a bludgeon to sue and perhaps even lock up people who do anything to
> bypass the crypto in the disk.  Thus, a purely technical solution

This assumes I own the disk. Why should I be so stupid as to pay
for my own bondage tools, not even being kinky? As long as there are
alternatives? Don't tell me I can't find a crypto-free mass storage
vendor. Especially, since they have to pay *royalties* for putting it
in. IBM does make fine drives, I'll be sad to buy Maxtor's. My heart
is bleeding, honestly. Can't say anything about Intel, never bought
their silicon. Toshiba, either. The fourth one in the quartumvirate
I forgot, so it can't be all that important. Dust in the wind.

> can't be deployed in any way that really helps a large number of
> people---it can't be put into Linux, for example, if the CSS cases

Why? Anything The Man can do about Freenet, or MojoNation? Especially,
if the successors of it are indistinguishable from an SSL browser
session? No one can pull the plug on the Net now, and we're faster
than the countermeasures.

> are won by the DVDCCA, and no commercial vendor will risk it, either.

The worse for the commercial vendors. I can get my Debian off the
net just fine, thanks.

> Remember also that in the case of DeCSS, the original creator wasn't
> even in a region that is subject to US law!  At least, in theory...

Right, in theory. Unenforcible laws are not worth the dead tree they're
printed on. In fact, any unenforcible laws make immature me violate
them as frequently as possible, just because I can, and not supposed to,
and no one can do anything about it. Kinda makes one look stupid for
concocting the law in the first place.

> So -if-, by some happenstance, commercial vendors somehow manage to
> convince themselves and their customers that this is somehow a better
> world, and their customers fail to vote with their feet (perhaps

Don't kid yourself. No one is that kind of stupid. If they indeed
are, then it's not worth fighting for, anyway. Looks clearly win/win
to me.

> because they are given no choice? there aren't -that- many hard disk
> vendors these days), technical workarounds will be litigation targets.

The more pressing the need for open hardware, and putting the means
of production on people's desks. Less than a decade to wait, I'm
betting.

 icbmto:N 48 10'07'' E 011 33'53''        http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204
        ED 90 04 33 EB 74 E4 A9 53 7F CF F5 86 E7 62 9B 57 F9 CF D3