For what it's worth, last week, I had the chance to eat dinner with Carlisle Adams (author of the PoP RFC), and he commented that he didn't know of any CA that did PoP any other way than have the client sign part of a CRM.

Clearly, this seems to contradict Peter's experience.

I'd REALLY love to see some real numbers here---how many CAs (over how many users) do PoP a sane way; how many do it a silly way; what applications people use their keys for, etc.

--Sean