Matt Crawford wrote:

Please don't blame the physicists for that. It is still research, but someone is selling tincture of quantum physics in their snake-oil bottles. Too bad that may poison the market for a really useful development a few years from now, but it does help shake the money tree for research. And physics can use every dime it can get right now.

That logic amounts to "it's ok to sell a fraud that will make people less secure if it shakes out some money for my good works." Which is fine, as it is standard practice to pay off some scientist to sit on the board and say what he's told. As long as we all understand that it's not science, and it's not scientific!

Still, it may be that the hype from selling expensive
boxes full of fibre snake oil will flow through to
more cheap boxes full of software crypto, which would
be a good thing.  So it's not clear that every QC box
sold will reduce security overall (through lost
opportunity).

iang