----- Original Message ----- From: "Anton Stiglic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Fermat's primality test vs. Miller-Rabin

Ok after making that change, and a few others. Selecting only odd numbers
(which acts as a small seive) I'm not getting much useful information. It
appears to be such that at 512 bits if it passes once it passes 128 times,
and it appears to fail on average about 120-130 times, so the sieve
amplifies the values more than expected. Granted this is only a test of the

generation of 128 numbers, but I got 128 primes (based on 128 MR rounds).

O.k., so if I read this right, your new results concord with the analysis of
Pomerance et al.   That would make much more sense.

When you say "on average about 120-130 times the test fails", out of how
many is that?

I should've said that the the quantity of numbers that failed the first test between each success was about 120-130. Apparently, even sieving based solely on "is it odd" is enough to substantially influence the outcome. Joe