Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
Are there any open source digital cash packages available?  I need one
as part of another research project.

I can think of a few ways to answer this question.

1. blinded money demo programs: there is magic money, in C and in Java. Also I think Ben Laurie wrote another one demo'd at EFCE. These demos are generally around 1-4kloc.

2. hard money systems: These allow you to actually issue money and survive aggressive communities. epointsystem is GPL I think, Ricardo is something or other but I haven't the energy to support the server side as an open source project. Ricardo is 100-150kloc, epointsystem is much smaller (and lighter in features and scope).

3. soft community money systems: cyclos and similar (one from south africa, another from NZ from memory). These products are designed for small communities where trust is implicit, they have no internal governance capabilities and only limited external security exposures. But you can use them to issue money.

4. then there are other variants like barcode money. A lot of interest is being put into mobile phone money atm.

iang