A recent press release about a new cryptographic product, "Permanent Privacy" (P.P.), mentioning my name, has led to a slew of dramatically mistaken reports. Corrections: I have never had a cryptography-related connection to Harvard. I had nothing to do with the press release.

Concerning my alleged support for the claim that P.P. provides "...the world's first practical data encryption system that is absolutely unbreakable.":

Its "practical" versions are not "absolutely unbreakable", as I tried hard to convince them. The only claim I ever supported was that if the additive stream cipher that is one component of P.P. consists of a properly managed 'One-Time-Pad', it (obviously) provides unbreakable encryption.

Peter Schweitzer