Florian Weimer wrote:
* Thierry Moreau:

For which purpose(s) is the DNS root signature key an attractive
target?

You might be able to make it to CNN if your spin is really good.

Thanks for this feedback.

No, no, and no.

No, because I asked the question as a matter of security analysis methodology. My conclusion is that no purpose justifying an attack on the overall DNSSEC scheme particularly threatens the DNS root.

No, because while someone else's answer might be formulated based on non-rationale anti-USG paranoia (leading to a nice media story), the pervasive USG influence in the DNSSEC key management has very different impacts, the foremost one being that the DNS root may actually be signed soon (hey, great!).

No, because I don't want to handle the trouble of high visibility in a field where the public relations are already mixing up things (e.g. .org is signed but a registrant can't have a secure delegation for a .org domain as of today).

Caveat: I stopped volunteering information about specific elements of official DNSSEC root key management which might be criticized. It is time for the DNS root signature project to move forward. Also, the Intaglio NIC project has no value unless the official DNS root holds secure delegations.

But even without this self-restraint, there would be no spin for a CNN story. Dedication to good cryptographic key management is squarely dull and boring for a typical person.

Regards,

--
- Thierry Moreau

CONNOTECH Experts-conseils inc.