On 2010-07-11 10:11 AM, Brandon Enright wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 21:16:30 -0400 (EDT) Jonathan
> Thornburg<jth...@astro.indiana.edu>  wrote:
>
>> The following usenet posting from 1993 provides an
>> interesting bit (no pun itended) of history on RSA key
>> sizes.  The key passage is the last paragraph, asserting
>> that 1024-bit keys should be ok (safe from key-factoring
>> attacks) for "a few decades".  We're currently just under
>> 1.75 decades on from that message.  I think the take-home
>> lesson is that forecasting progress in factoring is hard,
>> so it's useful to add a safety margin...
>
> This is quite interesting.  The post doesn't say but I
> suspect at the factoring effort was based on using
> Quadratic Sieve rather than GNFS. The difference in speed
> for QS versus GNFS starts to really diverge with larger
> composites.  Here's another table:
>
> RSA        GNFS    QS
> ===========================
> 256        43.68   43.73
> 384        52.58   55.62
> 512        59.84   65.86
> 664        67.17   76.64
> 768        71.62   83.40
> 1024       81.22   98.48
> 1280       89.46   111.96
> 1536       96.76   124.28
> 2048       109.41  146.44
> 3072       129.86  184.29
> 4096       146.49  216.76
> 8192       195.14  319.63
> 16384      258.83  469.80
> 32768      342.05  688.62

The numbers in the second column of this table are the
equivalent strength of symmetrical encryption, that is to
say, against attackers armed with the GNFS, a 3072 bit RSA
key is as tough as a 128 bit symmetric key.

> Clearly starting at key sizes of 1024 and greater GNFS
> starts to really improve over QS.  If the 1993 estimate for
> RSA 1024 was assuming QS then that was roughly equivalent
> to RSA 1536 today.  Even improving the GNFS constant from
> 1.8 to 1.6 cuts off the equivalent of about 256 bits from
> the modulus.
>
> The only certainty in factoring techniques is that they
> won't get worse than what we have today.

Progress in cracking elliptic curves, however, does not seem
to be happening, probably because elliptic curves are truly
irregular.

 How do elliptic curves compare to RSA today?

According to
http://paper.ijcsns.org/07_book/200909/20090902.pdf

RSA     ECC     Sym
1024    160     80
2048    224     112
3072    256     128
4096    280     140

That is to say, a 3072 bit RSA key is as tough as an ECC key
based on a 256 bit field, which is as tough as a 128 bit
symmetric key.

ECC cryptosystems on 256 bit field are practical today.  3072
bit RSA systems are not.

It looks to me that Moore's law plus GNFS has decisively
tipped the balance in favor of elliptic curves - and if one
has patent worries, good elliptic curve algorithms were
published more than fifteen years ago.