On 09/13/2013 11:32 PM, Jerry Leichter wrote:
On Sep 12, 2013, at 11:06 PM, Marcus D. Leech wrote:
There are a class of hyper-cheap USB audio dongles with very uncomplicated
mixer models.  A small flotilla of those might get you some fault-tolerance.
  My main thought on such things relates to servers, where power consumption
isn't really much of an issue....
I'm not sure what servers you're talking about here.

If by server you mean one of those things in a rack at Amazon or Google or
Rackspace - power consumption, and its consequence, cooling - is *the* major
issue these days.  Also, the servers used in such data centers don't have
multiple free USB inputs - they may not have any.

If by server you mean some quite low-power box in someone's home ... power is
again an issue.  People want these things small, fan-free, and dead reliable.
And they are increasingly aware of the electric bills always-on devices produce.

About the only "server" for which power is not an issue is one of those
extra-large desktops that small businesses use.

                                                         -- Jerry

I was mostly contrasting with "mobile" systems, where power consumption is at an absolute premium.

The USB sound systems I'm thinking of consume 350mW while operating, and about 300uW when idle. A couple or three of those on even a stripped-down server would contribute in only the smallest way to extra power consumption. And the extra computational load? When these servers things are running flat-out serving up secured connections? I would guess the phrase "an inconsiderable trifle" would apply.