>I know it sounds good, but has it ever worked?  Has any vendor ever been
>successfully attacked through a
> weak demo system, and then rolled out a new one *which happened to be
> prepared in time for this eventuality* ?

Not a shining example of secure protocol design, but here's one example:

http://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/497

Although I'm not aware of FB applying proactive incentive models for users of
the legacy auth prior to simply announcing an EOL.

And while there is no history of exploitation against unsigned carts I know of,
Google Checkout did deploy both protocols simultaneously and to this day
maintains both APIs; one "requires only a working knowledge of HTML" while the
other "requires API programming experience."
http://checkout.google.com/seller/integrate_custom.html

And I'm not saying put two modes in the protocol.  I'm saying put two modes in
your business model, and use a distinct protocol for each.  The business model
is where the pressure for multiple modes comes from, so expect it and manage it
at that layer, instead of letting it pollute your protocol.  H3 is great advice
from a very narrow perspective of crypto protocol design, but for a great many
systems it either pretends that business pressures relating to complexity don't
exist, or that the business people answer to the crypto people.  [I know it
sounds good, but has it ever worked? ;) ]

-Brad