This would revive many of the things people have aspired to kill with
bitcoins. Among others the "creation" of money (I can borrow and "store"
more money than I have). It would also mean moving the scalability problem
to a centralized system, a trusted party.

In other words: wouldn't having money backed by bitcoins instead of gold
essentially improve nothing?

I personally still worry about how big the early bird bonus was, someone
estimated the earliest of participators had a million of bitcoins. If
someone does then that'd grant him 1/21st of the worlds wealth (assuming an
insane surge in bitcoin usage), something I cannot quite believe anyone to
deserve. I mean it's possible, just not likely that anyone could be
responsible for 1/21 of the world's wealth.

Lewis