>> Who is selling exponentiation chips (in reasonably large quantities)
>> these days?  Price and power consumption are important for this
>> application, but I need to be able to verify a few K RSA (or possibly
>> ECC) signatures/second.
>
> OTOH if you really do mean *verify* (rather than generate), at say 5ms per
> Core2 core, with eight cores, you could almost do it in software.  OK, in
> that
> case price and power consumption aren't so good...

Let me do some shameless self-promotion here. For an overview of
signature speeds on various software platforms see
        http://bench.cr.yp.to/results-sign.html
Most of the software used in the benchmarks can be used.

Signature verification on a Core2 (boing) takes about 400000 cycles for
an elliptic curve, that means ~7500 verifications/sec per core. More
recent architectures give even better speeds -- and if you want to
verify a huge volume then batching pays off. Our paper
        http://eprint.iacr.org/2011/368
gives details on ed25519 which verifies 71000 signatures per second in
batch mode on a 2.4GHz Intel Westmere (Xeon E5620) CPU.

        Tanja