On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Douglas Huff <dh...@jrbobdobbs.org> wrote:

> On Sep 11, 2011, at 9:25 AM, Thierry Moreau wrote:
>>
>> E.g. http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/dane/ (DNS-based Authentication of Named
>> Entities (dane))
>
> Which makes a huge assumption about DNS SEC that is just not realistic.
> Namely, the one I just mentioned, that end clients would actually be
> validating. Meaning that the MITM I mentioned becomes hilariously effective
> in the vast majority of scenarios where the clients themselves are not doing
> the validating. Giving a nice illusion of additional verification with no
> substance.

It doesn't make that assumption at all, and way too many cycles were
spent going over this problem repeatedly.  All of the discussion has
essentially required the client to end-to-end verify the answer, which
given the amount of network breakage in the world that makes this
difficult, is a serious wrinkle in attempts to deploy solutions like
this.