On 10/27/11 3:02 , Werner Koch wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 11:15, mar...@martinpaljak.net said:
>
>> I don't know about PGP(.com), but GnuPG is picky about hardware key
>> containers. Things like PKCS#11.
>
> For the records: That is simply not true.  We only demand an open API
> specification for the HSM because we don't want to support binary blob
> pkcs#11 "drivers".

Taking into account the original request of getting something
off-the-shelf for PGP uses, this demand basically just rules out GnuPG
for some users and use cases.

Why?

Any kind of cryptographic hardware tends to already be costly (in case
of PCI HSM-s in the order of (tens of)thousands of euros or dollars).

Even if you get a HSM together with *interface* specification (I believe
this is a matter of money), the hardware usually comes off-the-shelf
only with existing drivers for CryptoAPI, JCE, PKCS#11, sometimes
OpenSSL engine (which really is not relevant IMHO in this context for
any meaningful use besides mod_ssl+apache).

This demand adds a *forced* requirement to develop (and test, and
maintain etc) another piece of software before you can interface the
hardware with the software you want (GnuPG in this case), which hardly
makes anyone optimistic and motivated. Or makes any good to the overall
adoption of both PGP and FOSS.

Now, the fact that there are both binary blob "drivers" that speak
PKCS#11 but also open source drivers (also free, in the sense of "free
software" vs "open source software") is as good excuse to reject PKCS#11
as ruling out HTTP from a browser because "there might be web servers
that are not free software and are run and owned by evil people" and
insisting on using HTTP-FREE which is incompatible with HTTP. Keep in
mind that we are talking about *interfaces* not what's behind it. I
might be wrong but I guess that most people run GnuPG on top of
motherboards and CPU-s that are far from being free in any sense
(firmwares, CPU microcode and designs etc). Where do you draw the border?

Just to re-assure you, I'm a huge fan and proponent of both FOSS (and
plain OSS) but I also strongly believe in common sense.
And common sense tells that using PKCS#11 is a better option than not
using it at all or inventing a 15th standard [1].

For meaningful adoption of crypto in everyday life would mean making it
a commodity, as universal and interchangeable as possible [2].

Martin

[1] http://xkcd.com/927/
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets
--