On 28/11/11 08:00 AM, Ben Laurie wrote:
Given the recent discussion on Sovereign Keys I thought people might
be interested in a related, but less ambitious, idea Adam Langley and
I have been kicking around:
http://www.links.org/files/CertificateAuthorityTransparencyandAuditability.pdf.

I found this rather difficult to understand, it seemed bottom-up not top-down. If one strips away the techno stuff, it seems to me to reduce to this:

1. all valid certificates are to be published into a publically viewable reliable log. 2. a subscriber has the responsibility of identifying improper certificates in that log. 3. the existance of a certificate in the log is acceptable proof of goodness for a browser.

Is that it, in minimalist form?

In analogous terms, is this like having the browser check EFF's repository for a second opinion? Or, like OCSP but expanding the servers to cover all certs from all CAs, and test on the certificates not the serial numbers?

iang