Wifebeating syndrome :)  I was aware of the claim of MITMing, but nobody
offered proof and it sort of faded away under the cover of NDAs.

Just on that above: Back in 2005, 2006 or so when the Mozilla policy was being written, allegations surfaced that two CAs were practicing MITMing as a business model. From what I recall of the discussion, the business model as suggested bears an uncanny resemblance to DPI, 'cepting the data was on-sold.

Surprise surprise, the audit criteria of the time did not exclude this, and as long as you declared it in your CPS, you were on the safe but dirty side of some line somewhere. However, no proof was forthcoming, and the offensive security-by-NDA trick worked again, with a nod to Dan.