[Really this is to the list, not so much Jon specifically]

On 12/07/2011 02:10 PM, Jon Callas wrote:

Let's figure out what we're trying to accomplish; after that, we
can try to figure out how to do it.

I think that's the central problem we're dealing with. There is scads
of mechanism and little policy.

I also don't think we're going to agree on what policy should be,
except within limited contexts.

We've discussed CAs, PKI, liability, policy, etc.

But conspicuously absent in this discussion has been the Relying Party
(i.e., the end user) and their software vendor.

As weird as this sounds, the RP is the party with the ultimate control.
With the notable exception of DRM, it is the end user and the software
they selected to operate on their behalf who takes the bits from various
sources, drops them into this Rube Goldberg contraption, turns the
crank, and receives a slip of paper as output. At that point, it is up
to the user (in coordination with their software vendor) to behave
differently according to their interpretation of the result.

So I would like to differ a little bit with this statement: