> Bernie Cosell <ber...@fantasyfarm.com> writes:
>> On 31 Dec 2011 at 15:30, Steven Bellovin wrote:
>>> Yes, ideally people would have a separate, strong password, changed
>>> regularly for every site.
>>
>> This is the very question I was asking: *WHY* "changed regularly?  What
>> threat/vulnerability is addressed by regularly changing your password?  I
>> know that that's the standard party line [has been for decades and is
>> even written into Virginia's laws!], but AFAICT it doesn't do much of
>> anything other than encourage users to be *LESS* secure with their
>> passwords.

I was discussing this question of why "regularly force password changes" of a
colleague who was responsible for security at a large University and his answer
was you want to force undergraduates to change their passwords at a frequency
that approximately matches the length of the average undergraduate romantic
relationship. The implication being they tended to share the passwords with
their boy/girlfriend and the forced change reduced the post-break up issues IT
had to deal with.

That anecdote aside, I agree this is a piece of advice that needs to go (along
with password masking and other carry overs from the days of computers being
rare and solely in centralized labs).

Von