Ian,

 I've led or been involved with several projects in academia that have used
HSMs as a basis for a CA. I can't say I've done a cost analysis at the level of
granularity you seem to be looking for, but I will say that at a high-level,
the added personnel costs of integrating and maintaining an HSM have been the
dominant factor in my experience.

 I estimate several-to-six (depending on the experience of the staff)
additional FTE*months to understand the HSM (documentation always seems
lacking) and get it working with our security libraries (OpenSSL typically).
Maintenance is painful for a one-off since the HSM is this completely unique
hardware and software system sitting in ones infrastructure, so that is a
significant fraction of a person plus a small fraction of a second for backup
(vacations, continuity, etc.).

 We did a second site redundant HSM-based CA once and it was a lengthy process
mainly due to the staff there having to come up to speed on the HSM, again
several FTE*months.

 I try to avoid this now and in my most recent project we're outsourcing this
to a commercial vendor and it's my expectation the initial legal/policy issues
with that route will be less painful than the HSM technical issues and then
maintenance will be simpler.

Von