On Fri Apr 13 23:36:26 EDT 2012 Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com wrote:

> I guess that's one really good thing about SHA-3 is that the next generation
> of
> those web developers, after SHA-2 is removed from standard libraries, will
> accidentally have safe auth. :-)
>
> I really don't know when that will be, though.

NSA designed SHA-2 to stay in libraries for a long time. Length
extension is not an issue for SHA-2 anymore with SHA-512/256. That is
a double-pipe hash function perfectly secure against length-extension
attack. On 64-bit platforms SHA512 and SHA512/256 is almost as fast as
Skein and Blake (one of which will be the next SHA-3), and according
to [1], "Furthermore, even the fastest finalists will probably  offer
only a small performance advantage over the current SHA-256 and
SHA-512 implementations."

However, since SHA-2 and (to be SHA-3) are 2, 3 or even 4 times slower
than MD5 or SHA-1, and NIST running the SHA-3 competition changed
their own initial goal SHA-3 to be significantly faster than SHA-2, I
expect in the following period several other influential international
players in the area of standardizing cryptographic primitives to use
that strategic mistake done by NIST, and to push for a hash standard
that will be significantly faster than SHA-2 and SHA-3.

Remember RIPEMD-160? RIPEMD-160 was proposed and backed up by EU, but
being many times slower than MD5 and SHA-1, it never became popular
industrial choice. It was nice academic design but not accepted by the
industry. Now I expect EU to use the opportunity and finally back up a
hash function that industry will prefer. But I see also that Russia,
China and Japan can also use the NIST's screw up with the performance
of SHA-3 and will try to take over the industrial primacy with their
own hash function. At the end, supremacy in setting up cryptographic
standards is what will bring reputation, trust and strategic
positioning in the world that in the following years will digest
exabytes per hour.

SO: I expect a new hash competition (run by EU, Russia, China or
Japan) where US SHA-3 standard will be a reference point and the goal
will be to design 256 and 512 bits hash function that is 3-4 times
faster than SHA-3.

Regards,
David Adamson Jr

[1] Shay Gueron, Vlad Krasnov, "Parallelizing message schedules to
accelerate the
computations of hash functions"