On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 4:04 AM, Darren J Moffat
<darren.mof...@oracle.com> wrote:
> On 04/26/12 04:52, Nico Williams wrote:
>> You'd have to ask Darren, but IIRC the design he settled on allows for
>> unkeyed integrity verification and repair.
>
> Yes it is.  That was a fundamental requirement of adding encryption to ZFS.
>  We could not assume that the keys for all blocks in all datasets were
> available at all times.
>
> Yet we have to be able to do resilvering due to individual block repair
> (which is actually a copy on write operation) or hole disk
> addition/replacement at any time.

Right, and since blkptr_t's are stored in indirect blocks and dnodes
and so one, and since you want to be able to resilver without having
keys, that means that the blkptr_t's have to be in the clear, which
does leak some information, namely file and dataset size in blocks
(and block size).  Right?

Nico