On 28 April 2012 02:31, James A. Donald <jam...@echeque.com> wrote:
> On 2012-04-28 4:05 PM, ianG wrote:
>>
>> the cryptographer's push for AE mode is simply the creation of a more
>> perfect hammer, when our real worries are about the building, not the
>> nail.
>

> Well said. Cryptographers have a habit of building a fortress with three
> entirely impregnable walls and one picket fence with a permanently open gate
> in it.
>
>> Yes. Let's talk about traffic analysis - how are we going to mitigate
>> traffic analysis? That's much more interesting.
>

> Assume everything is encrypted.  Then stuff that is not time urgent
> (documents and whatever replaces email), will usually go to some central
> server farm, and then out again on demand.  If everyone sends in their edits
> and messages encrypted, so that only server sees the addressees, then
> traffic analysis tells you Ann and Carol are using server X, but not that
> Ann is using server X to communicate with Carol.

Ann sends a message to the server at 10:00 am every day
Carol receives a message every day 10:05 am every day
One day an attacker artificially holds up Ann's message by 45 minutes.
That day carol receives a message 45 minutes later.

An attacker could reasonably conclude that Ann is contacting Carol

--
Eitan Adler