Werner Koch <w...@gnupg.org> writes:

>Which is not a surprise given that many SSH users believe that ssh
>automagically make their root account save and continue to use their lame
>passwords instead of using PK based authentication.

That has its own problems with magical thinking: Provided you use PK auth,
you're magically secure, even if the private key is stored in plaintext on ten
different Internet-connected multiuser machines.  I don't know how many times
I've been asked to change my line-noise password for PK auth, told the person
requesting the change that this would make them less secure because I need to
spread my private key across any number of not-very-secure machines, and
they've said that's OK because as long as it uses PKCs it's magically secure.

Peter.