For a proper answer, You should follow pbarreto on Twitter and ask him. He's a
nice guy and *very* willing to talk about this. Mostly because he found the
press release so misleading.

But in any case, the answer to your question is: this is not a standard choice
for a pairing friendly curve. It's a field of small characteristic, which makes
it unusually vulnerable to these attacks. They could not use this attack
against a similar MNT or BN curve.

My understanding is that a 256-bit BN curve gives 128-bit security.

Matt