Before joining Globalsign a year ago I was an observer to what was going on in
the CA industry.

Personally I saw (and still do see) value in the services that a CA offers and
believe that for the large majority of users on the Internet there is value in
knowing who is behind domain name.

I also felt that given the reality of where we are with technology and how long
it takes for new technology to be deployed on a global scale CA's will be
around for quite some.

I saw all of this an opportunity to try to change things for the better built a
model and associated business plan for creating another CA.

That exercise showed that to build an operational data center with sufficient
scale, security, computing power, and security would cost around 1.5 million
dollars. That with this expenditure under your belt that you would need to wait
four years before you had a viable product offering and were able to compete.

You would then either need to eat the operational costs for four years which
would run a around three quarters of a million each year or diversify your
business and invest into other product areas to offset those costs.

You could shortcut this waiting by finding somebody who is already trusted and
cross certifying with them but no CA's were no considering such propositions.

As such I would argue the cost of entering this industry as a certificate
authority that serves the Internet at large is approximately US $5 million and
4 years.

Ryan Hurst

Sent from my phone, please forgive the brevity.