On 7/01/13 13:25 PM, Ben Laurie wrote:
On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 11:20 PM, Peter Gutmann
<pgut...@cs.auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
Ben Laurie <b...@links.org> with:
I suspect you don't understand CT - perhaps you'd care to explain why it is
PKI-me-harder?

Because it's a band-aid on a mechanism that doesn't really work in the first
place.  The solution to the inability of PKI to protect users isn't to
rearrange the PKI deckchairs, it's to adopt a layered risk-management strategy
that actually helps protect them.  We have no real evidence of PKI addressing
anything that attackers are doing,

This is a bizarre statement in the face of Diginotar.

http://wiki.cacert.org/Risk/History shows no real correlation in attacks. There are many many possible attacks, so...

Maybe they aren't the attackers that interest you, but they are
certainly attackers.

... when there are too many possible attacks, and they keep happening, attention switches to the architecture, not the attacker.

(Is his focus.)

so no matter how much you band-aid it it's
not going to help protect users from harm.  "Fixing PKI" isn't the problem,
PKI itself is the problem.  It doesn't work, and as long as browser vendors
keep distracting themselves by fiddling with even more PKI, they'll never get
around to addressing the actual problem.

In any case, its time you updated your out-of-date rant -

I'll update it as soon as browser PKI starts working (meaning that we have
real evidence that it's effectively preventing the sorts of things attackers
are doing, phishing and so on).  Deal?

Phishing is not something that PKI is intended to address.

Yes it is. The whole point of PKI is to put the user in secure contact with the business. Secure browsing PKI puts the user on the website they want to be in.

Phishing is the attack that breaches that in secure browsing PKI.

Don't be confused by the fact that PKI has trouble in this area, and technically is trying to do something that could be considered impossible.

As a matter of historical and legal fact PKI was intended to stop this. You can see this writ large in early PKI theoretical models before the "secure browsing PKI" evolved. The fuller security model is also in the original Netscape demo of the product -- it was there to deal with phishing, inter alia. The marketing people had it dumbed down because of ... absence of phishing :) The legal agreements of all CAs confirm this, although they will never admit it.

It is of course a never ending embarrassment of the CAs and vendors that their secure browsing PKI failed to protect against phishing, and it is easy to show they are at fault. It is an interesting exercise to show WHY it failed to work, and we can do that too. It is also one of the key facts that caused the CA discussions and vendor discussions to be secret: liability. CABForum emerged out of discussions caused by ... phishing, but the unwritten rule is "NEVER MENTION PHISHING!"

The fact is, PKI was intended to address phishing.

Sorry about
that. My point is you make claims that may have been true some years
ago, but are no longer. Your rant should at least be truthful. I
realise that "not many people have been defended by cert warnings" is
less punchy than "no-one has, ever". Once more, sorry about that.

His point is accurate statistically.

The fuller question is whether the number of people defended has been worth the effort? Security is Risk!

If one includes phishing in the equation, then it's looking a bit wobbly. Alternatively, if one has managed to rule out those attackers that inconveniently breach the model (phishing), then one is left with an absence of an obvious attacker, and suddenly ones security model conveniently defends against the attackers we know we can defend against.

Which brings us back to the now infamous security threat model of SSL, as expounded in the book; SSL protects what we know how to protect.

From a user's perspective, that's circular and pointless. From an attacker's pov, they're laughing all the way to the bank.

From our security pov, it is a really burning question - we ran the SSL experiment for 18 years. 10 years ago, the phishers turned up. 2 years the attackers started getting aggressive.

What happened?

Cue to subject line...

or, even better, explained your solution to the problem.

I've been explaining it for years (and I'm pretty sure you're aware of at
least some of it, since we discussed it when I visited Google a year or two
back).  Here's a starter:

   In the real world, risk is never binary but always comes in shades of grey.
   When security systems treat risk as a purely boolean process, they're prone
   to failure because the quantisation that's required in order to produce a
   boolean result has to over- or under-estimate the actual risk. What's worse,
   if an all-or-nothing system like this fails, it fails completely, with no
   fallback position available to catch errors. Drawing on four decades of
   experience with security design for the built environment (buildings and
   houses) known as crime prevention through environmental design (CPTED), PKI
   as Part of an Integrated Risk Management Strategy for Web Security,
   presented at EuroPKI 2011, looks at how CPTED is applied in practice and,
   using browser PKI as the best-known example of large-scale certificate use,
   examines certificates as part of a CPTED-style risk-mitigation system that
   isn't prone to all-or-nothing failures.

   Link: http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/pki_risk.pdf

CT fits right into that framework, though - it is akin to "put ATMs
where everyone can see them" and the like.

Well, his point was that it PKIs-me-harder, and you tried to distract the conversation by the old excuse - "give me solutions not problems."

PKI-me-harder is correct, it forces the PKI to work better (if it works), but it doesn't change the model at all. He's looking for an attack on the real flaws, tho, which needs brave changes.

OK, I agree that Peter is impatient and frustrated. So am I. Dealing with responsible parties that say "phishing isn't our problem" is pretty tiring when $100m a year goes down the tubes because of it.

I do not claim that CT is a complete solution to all the net's
problems, but I do claim it is a component along exactly the lines you
are pushing for. Do I think PKI is a great idea? No, but I _do_ think
we need _some_ way to encrypt traffic s.t. only the intended recipient
can decrypt it, and I don't see a quicker way to get there from here
than PKI + CT. Or even anything that is substantially better.

As I say, in the bigger picture, it is fantastic that a vendor has broken ranks and started experimenting. This is the most significant thing to happen since 2010.

At the more detailed level - I wouldn't have done CT. Nor Peter. But neither of us are you. Go for it.

PKI isn't going away. Nor are phishers. Nor are attackers. We need 100 of these.

   (That's a slightly updated version of the original talk).

I have a much longer version, with references to research papers and actual
effectiveness in practice from its use by commercial vendors, if anyone wants
the full thing.

I don't doubt the effectiveness of the kind of thing you are talking
about, but what I would find helpful is something actionable - i.e.
"if you did X, then users would actually better protected, and it
won't break the 'net". My experience is that it is quite difficult to
bridge the gap between fluff that obviously works and concrete actions
that don't have large downsides.

Biggest barrier is getting code into a browser in order to conduct the experiment. Or a server. Probably, I claim, google has achieved this because it is the user, and the incentives are now apparent. It is also the vendor so the capabilities are present.

Outside google, all there is really is talk.

iang