ianG wrote:
On 8/01/13 15:16 PM, Adam Back wrote:

[...] a story about how their bank is just totally hopeless.
[...]
So.  Totally hopeless.  A recipe for disaster.

Obviously we cannot fix this. But what we can do is decide who is responsible, and decide how to make them carry that responsibility.

Hence the question.  Who is responsible for phishing?

Vendor?  CA?  User?  Bank?  SSL techies?

If it's about liability allocation, I'll leave others to comment.

If it's about what might be envisioned by each actor group, I have an observation about SSL techies. I guess I qualify as among the group, but my difficulty is to train other techies about the consequences of crypto scientific/academic results.

Two cases where SSL techies seem hopeless (to me) in applying academic results:

The MD5 brokenness got serious attention from the PKI community only when an actual collision was shown on a real certificate, no sooner (this particular work has little value as a scientific contribution besides its industrial impact). Even worse, the random certificate serial number short term patch has become "best practice" and PKI techies now come up with fantasies about its rationales (see discussion starting at http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/pkix/current/msg32098.html ).

Dan Bernstein made (with help of colleagues) a demonstration that DNSSEC NSEC3 mechanism comes with an off-line dictionary attack vulnerability as a "DNS zone walking" countermeasure. DNSSEC techies just flamed the messenger (on other grounds), ignored the warning, and quietly left the vulnerability in oblivion. Professor Bernstein moved to other issues.

For the record, DNS zone walking is a DNS privacy threat introduced by plain DNSSEC (e.g. the attacker quickly discovers s12e920be.atm-network.example.com because atm-nework.example.com is DNSSEC-signed without NSEC3). The NSEC3 patch development delayed DNSSEC protocol completion by a few years. The prof Bernstein presentation came after the DNSSEC RFC's were done.

So, when trying to promote an IT security innovation (e.g. if phishing could be reduced by some scheme that would protect the banks against their own incompetence), the typical expert in the audience is subject to this kind of short sightedness about established practice.

So, I would envision any strategy to make academic results and IT security innovation more palatable to IT experts. This is how I feel responsible for the hopeless phishing minefield!

Regards,

--
- Thierry Moreau