I don't think most non-programmers would differentiate between a string of hex
digits and an arbitrary alphanumeric string, so you might as well use base 32.
But do you really need to encode more bits? With a ZRTPish hash commitment /
key exchange / confirmation code structure you can detect a MITM attack with
probability 1 - 1/2^b, where b is the number of bits in the confirmation code.
A 19-bit code fits into six decimal digits and fails to detect a MITM attack
with a probability less than one in half a million, which strikes me as a good
tradeoff between convenience and security.

Cheers,
Michael