On 26/05/13 03:31 AM, James A. Donald wrote:
On 2013-05-26 2:13 AM, Eric S Johnson wrote:

Sauer: We answer to this question: We provide a safe communication
option available. I will not tell you whether we can listen to it or not.

In other words, no evidence there, either.

Oh come on.  "We will not tell you" tells us.

This is the problem with non-disclosure. It tells us, but what does it tell us?

For my money, Mr Sauer has told us that Skype is /preserving the option/. He doesn't tell us who Skype is listening to or when, it is even worse than that: they are preserving the option for anyone they so desire. People who hold an option do so because they can benefit from it, because options are not free. So Skype have decided that someone needs to listen, they will get a benefit, and they'll decide who that is, when and if [0].

The curious thing to take out of this is, for me: how should a security company act?

If they act like Skype acted, people won't trust them. So how is it that a security company can deliver security if they themselves cannot be trusted?

Consider two examples. Apple are mostly trusted, but they never tell us what they do in security. Verisign's CA model was an exercise in non-trust, because they told us in glorious 100page detail, and nobody had a clue what the deal was. What's the difference here?

It seems to me that we should be able to determine a better way to be a trusted security company. Or, maybe there is no principle to be extracted here, maybe the "market for security & trust" has no single way?

We've been doing this for 20 years now, and it seems we still don't know.

iang

[0] Observers may point to limitations in the ToS. But if you need to point to ToS, then you are simply proving your deception. Does anyone know when the ToS were changed to permit intercept and listening? If they've changed ToS to permit e2e, where it wasn't permitted before, without telling us that e2e is over, then they've also changed them to permit whatever they want, and any new uses will likewise see a change.